Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Images, artists, people, quotes and other things that inspire me


Jesus Christ. No other words necessary.


"It is cynicism and fear that freeze life; it is faith that thaws it out, releases it, sets it free." Harry Emerson Fosdick



All you need to add to this is "prayer is the turntable".


My father - Amos DoeGma Chea, an indigenous Liberian of the Kru tribe. My father started school at 11 years of age, excelled in school, was chosen by the President of Liberia to receive a scholarship, came to the states to study education, met my mother in an elevator at San Francisco State University, got married, had my brother, moved BACK to Liberia, came back to the states and had me. Most importantly, my father has lived a consistent, sincere, disciplined and honorable life for as long as I can remember. The way he has lived his life is more powerful than any sermon could ever be.



Kara Walker creates images that are riveting, beautiful, disturbing, majestic and full of truth


This is the work of Ruud Van Empel, an amazing Dutch artist. I call this girl "Kemigisa". Van Empel places her both in her finest and in nature. The richness of the green dress, the foliage and the depth of her skintone are extraordinary. For me this image evokes the purity and promise of Africa's children.







Rachel Roy - Her story proves that dreams can and do come true.








Herman Stanley McLeod, my maternal grandfather. A strikingly, severely handsome man, native of Guyana, one of 4 boys, father of 5 girls, sharp dresser and heartbreaker. I SO wish I could have met him.




LOVE the juxtaposition of ethnic fabric and haute couture. Very chic.



Peonies - lovely and delicate.


Louis Vuitton's modernized take on 50's era fashion - pleats, simple styling, ladylike dressing.


I ADORE this image - the turbans, the rich colors, the layering. To me, style is about taking risks, being fearless, expressive and individualistic... it's about discovering your voice and singing for all to hear.



French bulldogs are the perfect combination of fiesty, loving, beefy, petite and sturdy with a smidgen of quirkiness.



This is the PERFECT shoe. THAT. IS. ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment