Friday, January 7, 2011

I WANT To Be Used!















Seest thou a man who is diligent in his work? He shall stand before kings and not mean men. Proverbs 22:29

Hands down, my favorite story in the Bible is the story of Joseph. This story speaks of his unrelenting obedience, self-denial and otherworldly forgiveness. I remember reading somewhere that what most of what you and I know and have been told about the story of Joseph does not BEGIN to tell what he actually encountered and overcame. Can you imagine being sold into slavery by your siblings? In modern times, that betrayal would have resulted in years of psychotherapy and a resolve to never speak to those siblings again. And let's talk about Potiphar's wife. Most of us grew up hearing the story of her proposals and at least for me I envisioned one or two occurrences where Potiphar's wife gave her darndest in enticing Joseph. Bible scholars tell us that Potiphar's wife's pursuit of Joseph was relentless. She teased, proposed, suggested and galavanted around Joseph every opportunity that she had. Given that she was the wife of a man of stature, we can go out on a limb in concluding that she was likely an extremely attractive woman. One can gather from the biblical timeline that Joseph was between the ages of 18 and 24 when he was head of Potiphar's affairs. Can you imagine what type of restraint it took for a virile, young man given charge over Potiphar's affairs to not give into impulse, whim and fancy? You and I can run off a list of modern day politicians, world leaders and titans of industry who have fallen behind a woman. Consequently legacies have been ruined, families have been brought to shame and I doubt any of them would say it was worth it. Potiphar was Pharaoh's chief official, Pharaoh was the King of Egypt, this young man was two degrees of separation from the ruler of that time period's pre-eminent kingdom. Again, this took place when Joseph was between 18-24 years of age. What were YOU doing at that time in your life? Could you or I have been trusted with that temptation?

Jacob was on to something with his affinity to Joseph. In hindsight, his affection and his deference towards Joseph was rightly placed. What if the awesome task that Joseph was destined to inherit had been dealt to any one of his 11 brothers? Likely an entire nation and the surrounding region would have been obliterated from the famine that was to come. Years later, when Joseph came face to face with those who sold him off he could have exacted his revenge. I mean really, who would have faulted him? Most of us relish the opportunity to check somebody, to give them a piece of our mind, to let them know we aren't stupid and we knew all along what was up.

For me, this story is both inspiring and sobering. Inspiring because Joseph's obedience and the subsequent blessings that came from it made him a vessel for blessings for countless people and generations. His obedience not only gave honor to God, nor did it only result in Egypt's residents and those in neighboring areas survival of the famine. Joseph's obedience ensured the progeny of you and I today. Joseph's obedience stands as a testimony of how the Lord CAN use you, if you heed His loving direction. Sobering because I shudder when I think of how my disobedience has hindered my life. The extrapolation of my disobedience means that the blessing I could have been for others has fallen on thorny ground. It means that where I SHOULD or COULD be is nobody's fault but mine. It means that others very well could have/could be suffering because of my disobedience.

2011 is fresh upon us and I have resolved to be like Joseph. In the past I have fallen short of the gifts, talents and responsibilities I have been given. In spite of this, I have been blessed by my own personal Joseph's. People whose obedience and discipline has afforded them the ability to step in the gap for me. It is my sincere desire to be an obedient blessing. I want to be used!

1 comment:

  1. Amen Cynthia. Thank you for sharing this provocative piece. What a blessing you have already been on a regular basis and now as you seek to let God speak through you!! Thank you again. I love you. xooxo

    ReplyDelete