Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good Hair


I’ve worn dreadlocs for the past 11 ½ years. Some see locs as a form of rebellion and an anti-establishment manifesto. For me, deciding to loc my hair was a major step in my journey to total self acceptance. See, I grew up in the age where being "light skinned with long hair and pretty eyes" was the standard by which the black community measured beauty. Debarge reigned supreme on the airways and those who weren't naturally blessed with "good hair" sought refuge in leisure curls, jheri curls, wave nouveaus and good old fashioned super strength relaxers. Nothing could be done for skin color or eye color, but hair? Absolutely. For those outside of the black community, the term "good hair" refers to hair that is curly, soft, wavy, straight. It is often times a byproduct of miscegenation. Take one look at my picture and you will surely conclude that the miscegenation in my blood line was kept to a minimum. Nevertheless, susceptible to the majority, I fell in line and like a good soldier received my war scars of scabbed scalps, over-processed hair, hot comb burns, nights of sleeping on my knuckles, and a rainbow's worth of hair coloring.

I am fortunate to be a first generation American of indigenous Liberian and Guyanese descent. I wear my heritage with unmitigated pride and aplomb. My father is a member of the Kru tribe - hence my nod and mention of his indigenous lineage. He's not part of the repatriated African American contingency - he is through and through, to the bone, uncut, motherland product. My mother was a melange of African, Caucasian and East Indian (Madras) blood. The result of this union produced two deeply chocolate kissed, ample bodied, slightly relaxed wool-like coifed haired children. Given the times, this mean that growing up I felt abnormal.

I moved to New York City in 1996 one week after completing graduate studies at Golden Gate University in my hometown of San Francisco. I could not WAIT to move to New York. I had begun a love affair with the city as a ten year old girl. Back in 1980 my Aunty Shirley ran food services for Macy's at 34th Street. My brother and I spent a Christmas break with her. Every day we'd take the train in from Montclair, New Jersey and would descend into the wintery wonder that was New York City. Can you imagine what Manhattan in all its splendor looked like to a little girl from the city by the bay? It was then that I KNEW I'd return one day. So now it's 1996 and I'm moving to NYC - Brooklyn's Crown Heights neighborhood in particular. I'm excited, yet totally clueless as to how this move will irrevocably change my life.

Ask anyone who has spent any time in NYC and they will tell you the city is overrun with amazingly attractive, stunningly gorgeous, disturbingly exotic men and women. The racial mixes and 100% pure varieties represented there are mind-blowing. While this next statement may seem unlikely given what I previously stated, one of the gifts NYC gave me was a sense of self-confidence and peace with who I was/am. See, I came to a realization that there will ALWAYS be someone who will one up your beauty, intelligence, etc. However, they can NEVER trump your ability to be you. The minute I decided to accept and celebrate my 95% cacao kissed skin, nod to the motherland mane and ample form, people started gravitating towards me. All of the things that made me unique and abnormal had now made me....unique and abnormal. Unique meaning: being the only one of its kind; without an equal or equivalent; unparalleled. Abnormal meaning: not normal; deviating from the usual or typical; extraordinary. New York City's gift to me was the realization that I was one of a kind and extraordinary. Aren't we all? The master creator took care in crafting each and every one of us. Who I am, why I am and what I am, was/is ALL part of HIS master plan. Who you are, why you are and what you are was/is ALL part of HIS master plan. Psalm 139:13-16 tells us so.

I have been unemployed for just over a year now. Quite a few times in the past year well meaning friends and acquaintances have asked “do you think you may be missing out on opportunities because of your hairstyle”? My answer has been “maybe – but having locs doesn’t make me any less qualified than having straight hair makes me qualified”. My hair, good, bad or indifferent is who I am - free, natural, qualified, enlightened, worldly and real! To me, that is good hair.

13 comments:

  1. This is a great post, Cynthia! I know that there are many women (and men) that can identify with your insights. (Haki Madhubuti says that "hair" is one of the five things that Black people in this country struggle with on a daily basis. (I whip my hair back and forth!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your blog, and what a nice way to end my nite. Self image and societal influences on it, is always a subject that brings about many thoughts and perspectives. This is probably the most politically correct articulated thought, surrounding a controversial subject. But most importantly very inspirational, just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great post....opened my eyes to be what God
    wants me to be and not others. I'm going to the Stellars
    with my natural hair. And u know what? I'll be saving
    $300 that I didn't really have....:) It's been 2 1/2 year with
    no relaxer, I'm learning to LOVE my hair. I loved it when
    Momma used to straighten it on Friday with the hot comb
    before choir rehearsal and I'm loving it now. Thanks and
    Even if I sweat from screaming and dancing....I'ma deal with
    The pooch hair....LOL!! Thx girl very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought provoking! An insightful and fascinating read!!! Saw a portion of the movie Good Hair by Chris Rock a few days ago. And I recently had to chance to visit New York. Your blog rings true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up in Brooklyn I can definitely relate to being inspired by my environment, having the ability to appreciate and aspire to my higher self. Brooklyn represents so much in my life from the acculturation of the city, to the entrepreneurial spirit that effervesced throughout the city street. My culture was celebrated not tolerated in Crooklyn…lol... I describe myself being of African ancestry and Haitian heritage. My father's side of the family is of Haitian descent and my mother has a mélange of Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica. So when the family gets together we have three different languages at the same time...absolutely love it!
    I think it’s a shame that someone would question if your hair as the reason that you have not been able to find work. This might just be a sad declaration of our society. The sad truth is that no other race of people would have to even think like that. We have been so use to assimilating that our very core has been questioned...the very being of who we are and our purpose as a people is still assaulted with any and every opportunity...Your/our hair is Your crown...Your/our hair is Your glory…..Your/our hair is the basis of the Fibonacci numbers, the Golden rule/Golden ratio which is foundations upon which the Pyramids were built in Egypt, Sudan and various other places…..No one can tell you how to express that....the beauty of "black" hair is that it will totally obey your inner being. What and how you feel about YOU will manifest through your hair. The funny thing is that men also have the same issues with their hair but it is not as much of a discussion. To some, hair is an issue of self-hatred or self-love...it truly depends on which side of the “relaxer” one stands on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoying your blog! Love that you're dedicated and are keeping it up. You've got writing skills--- for sure. Speaking as a part Asian / part Caucasian female, I have to tell you that it never 'clicked' with me that your hair was in "dreadlocs". I think I just saw well-kept, well styled, and well represented (your 'tude...) So regardless of the conscience feelings we all have about ourselves over the years, I have to tell you that the smile and energy that radiated with you at 16-18, is still the SAME shine that I see coming out now. It's natural that we learn to refine and polish it with age--- as you have. You're rocking your style and the most important thing is that you've wrapped confidence around it and that makes all the difference. Enjoying our "connection"! ~Kim (Sing) LaFleur

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post!!!! It's funny, I just got a new job and was nervous about wearing braids in "corporate" America. In my mind we are still defined by our hair and I chose to wear my hair straight until I get a better vibe of the place and then get all rebellious and break out the braids....isn't it ridiculous that I think that me wearing my hair in braids is a "rebellious" act, smh at myself....whew, clearly old stereotypes and conformities die hard...thank you for sharing you story Cynthia it truly opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cynthia, once again you have present a subject that has long been a source of pride and pain in our community.
    Growing up, my experience with the hair/skin issue was different. It truly wasn't until I got to Oakwood did I truly know about the "light-skinned/dark-skinned", "good hair/bad hair" pain that plagued our community. I am thankful that I did not experience this pain, however, it saddens me that my community still wreaks of the stench of this outrageous belief.

    As you know, I too am locked and I absolutely love it. The thing that you don't know is that I had been in non-commitment mode for many, many years and it wasn't until I saw a picture of you and your divine locs several years ago did I decide to finally make the commitment. So you see, you inspired me and I know you definitely didn't know that. :-). I want to take this time out to thank you personally for shining so brightly and for all that you continue to share with us. Your light is far-reaching, soul stirring and all inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair is beautiful, Cynthia. People should be concerned with what's IN your head than with what's ON it. I can so relate, my sistah. Don't go changing to try and please the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it! understand it! thanks for sharin Cyn! i see a book.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps...love the foto of u in the BIG Bahamian chair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynthia, this was fantastic. Wow. Very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Girl, I know this is almost 4 months after you wrote this blog, and I don't even know if you will see my comment, but I just have to...

    I first met you when you were a freshman and I was a senior at MBA. I adored you! I was drawn to you and your happy, funny and carefree attitude. The image I have of you then ALWAYS makes me smile. However, my heart aches to think that you ever felt abnormal in a negative way.

    It's interesting to me that, in my perception at the time, 'good hair' was full of volume, body and was especially 'good' if it was blond and curly. Mine, however, was brown, limp, stringy and greasy - a white girl's nightmare. So, I permed it and fried it until it was a lighter brown ball o' fuzz. Talk about nappy...New growth on me was the hair that had burned off at the scalp (also leaving scabbed scars)and then as it grew in would stand straight up like an arrow, like a sign over my head saying, "insecurity and self loathing right here".

    I am so proud of you. You are beautiful just the way God made you and I am so glad you have figured that out. I am trying to embrace the limp, fine, and greasy strings that I call hair.(nice visual, huh?)

    It's Sabbath morning, I'm super sick and just thought I would poke around on your blog as it has been awhile. I am in awe of the woman you have become. You STILL make me smile.

    ReplyDelete