Monday, March 4, 2013

Style: Creating your own unique and fabulous voice - JEWELRY




Ok, so as many of you know I am a first generation American  of Liberian and Guyanese descent. My father is 100% uncut from the motherland. My mother a mix - 25% East Indian 25% European, 50% African. I grew up in San Francisco during the 70's and 80's - went to boarding school in Santa Cruz, and since then have lived in New York, DC, Georgia and Tennessee. In addition to that, I've been blessed to travel to Africa, Europe, the Caribbean, Australia and beyond.  These travels, this exposure and subsequent cultural mélange is reflected in my every day life - food, decor, dress, sensibilities.....everything.  How I dress, how I decorate, how I cook is a form of expression. Expression is a reflection of the soul - what you feel, what you think, who you are.

In 2013 there's not much we can do that is original, but unique is a different story. You can take something that already exists but in your own way display it or wear it such a way that makes it all your own.  I was blessed with a great eye for detail and am able to spot what's chic. Know that chic and trendy are NOT the same thing. Chic does not expire, trendy does. But more than anything, my approach to style is buy what you love! Find an inspiration piece and build around it. Buy art, fabric, belts, jewelry, furnishings that move your soul. That is the way to create your own unique voice!  

I've decided to do a four part series on creating your own unique voice through jewelry, footwear, clothing, art/furnishings. Here we go!

JEWELRY


Necklace: BCBG 
African Form: Liberia circa 1960


Jewelry: Various - vintage finds, Anthropologie, Badgley Mischka, LAMB, Messi Jilly


Necklace: Custom by local artisan in San Francisco


I LOVE every single piece of jewelry here. I love the colors, textures, stories....My favorite piece of all is the bottom piece. Every bit of who I am and who I aspire to be is reflected in these pieces. I got most of the pieces for next to nothing. I am an avid Ebayer. If you take the time you can find quite a few gems on here. I'm also a fan of mixing high end and low end pieces to create a one of a kind look.  I've made major scores on the sale stands at Anthropologie, Zara and Nordstrom Rack - there's no need to pay full price. Some of my least expensive pieces make the biggest statement. Not everyone can wear oversized pieces, and that's ok. Figure out what works for your frame - but don't be afraid of taking risks. Bottom line, if you like it, go for it. 

Favorite online jewelry haunts:

Ebay.com  - Make sure you refine your search as much as possible. There are literally millions of items on ebay. The more specific you are about what your searching for the better your chances of finding it.

Topshop.com - Great style at very affordable prices. They do trendy well. 

Anthropologie.com - I've found some AMAZING pieces at Anthropologie on the sale racks. The FABULOUS pieces never go on sale but are chic, timeless and otherworldly. Worth it when you want to splurge.

Etsy.com - A treasure trove for artisan like pieces. Like ebay, you need to be very specific in what you're looking for. Etsy specializes in one of a kinds - this is the place to get something no one else will have!

Zara.com - Chic, edgy, classic all can be found at Zara. They really have cornered the market in interpreting what the major designers are doing at an accessible price point. This means you can literally look like a million bucks for less than $40. 







2 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful, cousin. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always admired your sense of style! I see you wear things I wouldn't ever think to pick up and then think to myself why not? I love love love the earrings you displayed and have recently decided I need more. I'm looking for the peacock feathered earrings that don't look a mess. I forgot to look on etsy so thanks!

    ReplyDelete